Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A day of painting

Today the weather finally broke and a bit of sun came shining through the clouds. After a number of rainy days, this often beckons to me to get up and get moving.  Make hay while the sun shines and that sort of thing.  What better way to spend the day than to start painting the kitchen cabinets?  I started with the new center island as it is to be black and let's face it, I've already gotten it sanded and prepped.  Today I felt like painting and not prepping! 

We also are lacking wall paint to cover the caulk from the installation of the new countertops, so I cracked that can open first to be sure to be able to get two coats on in one day.  Not too hard.  Of course, the wall paint is latex.  Water washable. Wish all things are so easy!

The island is to be black; and an oil satin.  Not water washable. All things considered, there is not much paint at this point where it is not supposed to be...on the wood.  I did find a twist that I had not expected.  I can only paint 1/2 at a time.  Due to the cabinet doors, which cannot open all at once, I am left with a partially painted, semi-dry, very tacky door flung open and whole project at a halt until something dries sort of confinement.  There will be no cooking today, but now I am guessing I will be painting beginning at about 6 pm to try and finish the first coat.

So here I am in the middle of the afternoon with nothing to do but wait for the proverbial paint to dry.  Items to consider: 

1. The Young and the Restless comes on at 3 pm.  My Mom got me hooked on this soap opera when I was young. I can go years without seeing it, and suddenly there it is, and it's like only a short time has passed between viewings. In that regard, it's like seeing old friends.
2.  Nap. 
3.  Go to the grocery store.

Let's face it, I will probably see part of the Young and Restless before I fall asleep in a nap.

But so you can see the progress, here's a picture of the kitchen as it looks now!


1 comment:

Jan Thompson said...

Black? I love the look of it, want to see more of the kitchen. Do you hire out??? LOL I need to take a day to sit on the floor and clean all my white kitchen cabinets. I'm waiting for a really rainy, winter day. Didn't get many last winter.
More photos....