Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Very First Bead Soup Blog Party.....

And I am late, late, late like the Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland!  Oh no!  It's already 10 am on Saturday morning!

Let me begin by thanking again my incredible and very talented partner Jean Peter of the Eclectic Avenue.  Jean has been wonderful and the soup she sent....Well!  Heaven knows it was arranged by the angel that she must be, for it was indeed A Challenge!  The beads were so abundant and in colors that I've never really used before.....and then there was the sheer quantity!  Thank you Jean!  So here is a recap of the bead soup:

Bead Soup for a dinner of 8!

I took inspiration for my bead necklace from Jean herself, who does lovely cord wrapped bead designs.  I've never knoted anything except my shoes before this, and do confess right up front that my husband, the weekend sailor did help me a bit by teaching me the tie off knots.  I actually worked this three times, as I quickly learned that to balance the cords and knots, the two sides must be done in a mirror fashion!  The third time I got an acceptable finish and feel that there is enough symmetry to not entangle the eye away from the incredible focal.

So, I aquired some brown leather in a .5 mm size for the first design and went to town.  My first pick was the copper focal and clasp Jean made herself which are just stunning.  I chose some of the cream howlite and carnelian beads and added a couple of textured washers to tie off and then added a bit of copper chain and her lovely clasp.  So, without further ado....



 Now, Jean had sent me no less than 4 focal pieces so I decided to keep going and see what else I might endeavor, this time with anything BUT knots!  I decided to use her other very special hand decorated howlite teardrop.  Adorned with wire wrapping that I can only dream of, again, it seemed to cry out for all the attention, so I kept the design pretty symmetrical and made another necklace.


I used a textured copper washer and tried my own wire wrapping to use as a lead in....not sure if I like it at all.  She sent the other blue howlite beads and crystals, so I wrapped and stacked and wrapped some more.  I added a length of textured copper chain and an offset clasp of my own in order to repeat the focal shape, albeit, upside down.  The hook design is totally inspired by metal artist Melinda Orr so that I could add another howlite bead to add a finished feeling. 

I have so many other beads to work with, and in fact will continue creating designs that I had an opportunity to draw up, but not enough time to execute and in some cases, a.k.a. Rivets!

A Very Special Thank You to Lori Anderson, the Bead Soup hostess for pairing me with such a generous and creative partner.  To see all of the Second Reveal date team, click here.

Namaste~








45 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your pieces - and your knotting looks great!!

Sea of Dreams said...

Gorgeous designs! I cannot knot so I am in awe of your first necklace! The second necklace is amazing!

bailaora said...

super work with wire! congratulations!both necklaces are avesome!

Chris said...

Bravo to you! Your finished pieces use the stunning elements you were given so beautifully!

Unknown said...

Lovely work, my dear ! Especially with the turquoise :)

Kepi said...

Love love both pieces but the turquoise is fantastic!!

Maria Rosa Sharrow said...

Lovely use of your soup. And you still have so many beadies to work with!

Lupe Meter said...

Wow, you had an awesome bead soup!! Love your designs...beautiful!!

Karen Mitchell said...

Love the copper and howlite turquoise. Your wirewrapping is great, I love it!!

Becky Pancake said...

You made great use of your soup Tracy. I like both of your necklaces. The turquoise one is way cool.

Jean said...

Tracy My sweet Partner!! You did FANTASTIC!!! Your necklaces are stunning, and I love how you tied in your special clasp and set off the whole thing! I am glad you were my partner! Big hugs!!

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your jewelry!
kathy

Shai Williams said...

I can't believe that this was your first time knotting. What a great necklace! I am just in love with the second. All that turquoise and copper. What's not to love.

Just Beads said...

I love both, but the turquoise one is really outstanding. Very very nice!

Suntsa said...

Stunning elements, beautiful pieces. I really like your style!

Unknown said...

Well you did an excellent job with your first BSBP package. I adore both of these necklaces. Have fun as you continue to create with the leftovers from your soup.

la mar de bonita said...

Georgeous pieces, my dear! Wonderful necklaces in a very unique style and beautiful colour combination! I like both pieces very much - you did an amazing work with your soup!

Rachel said...

Beautiful work! I love the second necklace with the blue wire-wrapped pendant; you showcased it perfectly!

Cris Peacock said...

Beautiful! Both pieces! Love the knotting in the first and your wire work is stunning :)

Karin said...

Wonderful pieces - great knotting!

A Polymer Penchant said...

I always love hearing when someone tried something new with their soup as I always say I would have never guessed. I think the knotting is beautiful and your work and rework really paid off!

Michelle Tucker said...

I love love love LOVE both of these necklaces. You did an amazing job. What an incredible soup! ~ you did it justice. :)

coffeeaddict said...

Beautiful designs! I love your fantastic mixing of cord and wire

Ann said...

Nice work. I think you did a great job with both pieces and they both show off completely different techniques.

Chelle said...

Gorgeous designs..

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pieces.I love your combinations of copper with red and with turquoise. Don't you just love copper? I'm in the 3rd reveal. Check it out next weekend.

Carol D. said...

Great looks with different techniques. Love those carnelian beads with the copper.

Jeanne @ Gems By Jeanne Marie said...

I love both of your necklaces, Tracy! Your knotting was definitely worth the effort!You complemented Jean's wire wrapping beautifully in the second design! I am getting so inspired by this blog hop!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work !!! Wow!

Giorgia Rossini said...

I love both necklaces, especially the 2nd.
I'm on the 3rd reveal, I'm partecipating for the 3rd time on BSBP... so much fun!
ciao dall'Italia

YeeLen Spirit Designs said...

Gorgeous creation. I love both pieces.

Libellula Jewelry™ said...

When I saw your first necklace I thought for sure that it would be my favorite...and then I saw the second one. Wow! I can't decide which I like more. :)

ACBeads said...

Both necklaces are beautiful but I love the first one. Great work.

Breana said...

My first party too! Nice necklaces

Jean A. Wells said...

Well, you really Wowed me. Those copper pieces are gorgeous and your wire wrapping is beautiful. I love that you made a knotted necklace. Great job!

The ATELIER Handmade said...

These are gorgeous pieces! I love both but I am impressed by the knotted necklace it was so unexpected. This is what I love of the BSBP not we meet new friends but sometimes it makes us go beyond our comfort zone and try new things.

PiPa said...

I absolutely LOVE both necklaces! I love the color combo of the first, I would have never thought to use it with that focal, but the final result is amazing!

Sandra Pendragon said...

Oh wow! Your pieces are so beautiful. I love your wire wrapping. I adore the knotted necklace! You did it brilliantly my friend.

baymoondesign said...

Your knotting is wonderful! Gorgeous pieces!

Unknown said...

Your knotting was great but the second necklace won my heart with my favorite combo - turquoise and copper.

CraftyHope said...

Both of your necklaces are really fabulous! I love that you went that extra mile and learned something new in the process. How great that your hubby was able to help you with it too! Great job :)

Bobbie said...

Both necklaces are just yummy - organic and colorful and fun. I can imagine wearing them with almost anything!

Unknown said...

I love both your pieces! Your metal work and wire work is fantastic! Great job!

Katie N-N said...

Wonderful pieces! You were given some fabulous pieces, and you did them proud!

TanyaMcGuire said...

Love these pieces. Fantastic.