Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day weekend and I would like to wish all my friends who are also Moms and Grandma, and my very own RuRu a very Happy Day.  The celebration of our Mothers is a pivotal point in the year and in some ways seems far more important to me than Thanksgiving or other family oriented holidays.

My Mom literally kept me alive.  Not just in her warm embracing womb, of which I have but an intuitive sense thereof, but quite in actual practice, night and day for years, almost willing me to breathe with her own heartbeats and breaths.

I was born with asthma and allergies.  Through the days of childhood, I recall days being at home, for weeks on end, sick with something.  She was there every day, cleaning and feeding and sometimes even entertaining me.  She made sure I had an abundance of paper and little round tipped scissors.  I am probably the only child ever to wear out my scissors!

At night, when the damp air and the deepening darkness would creep in, so would the asthma, like some beast inside my body that I could not control nor had any defense.  In she would come, on the gentle sound of slippers, holding me up, loving me until I would take another breath and the blueness would fade.  At long last, when things would calm, I would lie awake just concentrating on breathing.  I would watch her gently sleep, her eyes always a bit darker for her nights with me.

We went on for years this way.  Years.  

I believe that the testament of Love is proven by Mothers all year long and in as myriad of ways of love as God himself might imagine.  

Wishing you all the Love of this very special day.




No comments: